Durant drops triple-double, Warriors hit 21 3s to beat Wolves

first_imgBrace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Timberwolves: Thibodeau said before the game that Butler, an All-Star reserve, is “close” to returning, Minnesota is 2-2 in the four games Butler has missed.Warriors: Curry became the fifth player in Warriors history to score 14,000 points, ending the game with 14,023. Curry, who is in his ninth season, trails Wilt Chamberlain (17,783), Rick Barry (16,447), Paul Arizin (16,266) and Chris Mullin (16,235) on the franchise list.GRAND TIMESZaza Pachulia played in his 1,000th regular-season game, becoming the third Warriors player to reach that mark this season, joining David West and Andre Iguodala. It was game No. 109 for Pachulia in a Warriors jersey. Most of his games, 556, were played with the Atlanta Hawks.BAD MATCHUPTowns was unstoppable near the basket at times and the Timberwolves had a 60-44 advantage on points in the paint. But that didn’t matter against the Warriors’ outside marksmanship. “You can’t beat the Warriors if you’re playing 2 versus 3. You can’t trade 2s for 3s,” Towns said. “We did a great job fighting all night, but it seemed like we got so close, they just started raining 3s again. No matter, uncontested, contested, it didn’t matter. They hit them when they needed to hit them. That’s the sign of a championship team right there.”UP NEXTTimberwolves: Host Brooklyn on Saturday, seeking a 10th straight home win.Warriors: Host the Boston Celtics on Saturday. Harris scores 23 points as Nuggets beat Knicks LATEST STORIES Minnesota’s Jamal Crawford said Durant has become a better passer, making him even more of an offensive threat.“He’s even more dangerous. He’s already the best scorer in the world,” Crawford said. “If he has the assists, that just makes it tough to deal with.”The Warriors matched their previous season high of 18 3-pointers by the end of the third quarter. They made 57 percent from behind the arc in the game, with Thompson hitting seven and Curry connecting on five. That pinpoint shooting allowed Warriors coach Steve Kerr to forgive his team for 15 turnovers and inconsistent defense.“Our guys are so talented they lit up the scoreboard. They can win a lot of games without being totally dialed in and defending at a high level and that’s what happened tonight,” Kerr said. “It wasn’t our best effort, but talent wins.”Karl-Anthony Towns led Minnesota with 31 points and 11 rebounds. Crawford added 21 points and Jeff Teague had 17 points and seven assists for Minnesota, which played its fourth straight game without Jimmy Butler, who has a sore right knee.TIP-INSADVERTISEMENT Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Minnesota Timberwolves’ Karl-Anthony Towns, left, fights for the ball with Golden State Warriors’ David West, right, and Klay Thompson during the first half of an NBA basketball game Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018, in Oakland, Calif. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)OAKLAND, Calif. — Kevin Durant called himself a “jerk.” The Minnesota Timberwolves had a different description of the Golden State Warriors’ All-Star forward, calling him “the best scorer in the world.”Durant had 28 points, 11 assists and 10 rebounds, and the Warriors made a season-high 21 3-pointers in a 126-113 victory over the Timberwolves on Thursday night.ADVERTISEMENT Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson each added 25 points for Golden State.Durant was fined $15,000 by the NBA earlier in the day for his comments about referee James Williams after being ejected from Tuesday’s win against the New York Knicks. He later apologized and said he had acted like a “diva” and a “jerk.” Also on Thursday, Durant said he was the first pick in the NBA All-Star draft conducted by team captains Curry and LeBron James.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“Life could be much worse. It was definitely a fun day,” Durant said. “I was looking forward to seeing who was going to be on the All-Star teams, looking forward to my fine and most of all looking forward to playing tonight.”Durant went 6 of 9 on 3-pointers and continually pushed the ball down the court to create open shots for Curry and Thompson. Durant hit two 3s and Curry added a third in a 67-second span late in the third quarter, during which the Warriors (39-10) went 8 of 11 on 3-pointers, leading Minnesota coach Tom Thibodeau to throw up his arms in frustration. Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday PLAY LIST 03:12Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday01:43Who are Filipinos rooting for in the NBA Finals?02:25Raptors or Warriors? PBA players take their pick of NBA champ01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City MOST READ NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Read Next Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa View commentslast_img read more

adminNovember 29, 2019mcoaepLeave a Comment

Read More

Masters Trans Tasman Awards

first_imgWomen’s 30’sPlayer’s Player: Giselle MartinCoaches Award: Amanda BourneMen’s 30’sPlayer’s Player: Phil GyemoreCoaches Award: Garry SondaMen’s 40’sPlayer’s Player: Troy MorganCoaches Award: Paul ThomassonMen’s 45’sPlayer’s Player: Derek DuguidCoaches Award: Trevor JollyMen’s 50’s Player’s Player: Don BaartzCoaches Award: Bob BehnkeReferee of the Tournament: Bill Sladelast_img

Read More

10 months ago​DONE DEAL: Leicester fullback Elder joins Ipswich Town

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say ​DONE DEAL: Leicester fullback Elder joins Ipswich Townby Ansser Sadiq10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLeicester City defender Callum Elder has signed for Ipswich Town on loan.The left-back has not received many first team chances with the club this season.And he will now compete at Ipswich in the Championship.But Leicester do want him back for next season, as Christian Fuchs is departing at the end of the campaign.Ipswich Town boss Paul Lambert told the club’s website: “I’m delighted we have been able to get Callum in early. He gives us more competition on the left side.”He is a very good player. He’s been training with top players at Leicester and he has handled that well.”He’s got a really good left foot and he wanted to be here and that’s vital for me. I need players who want to come here and play for this club.”Elder added: “I had a good chat with the gaffer about three weeks ago and he said he wanted me to come down and be a big part of the squad.”I was really eager to come and get involved.” last_img read more

Read More

9 months agoReal Madrid coach Solari: Isco future not up to me

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Madrid coach Solari: Isco future not up to meby Carlos Volcano9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid coach Santiago Solari says Isco’s future isn’t up to him.The player has found himself out of favour of late, and didn’t make the pitch at all against Real Betis on Sunday, and as a result talk of a move to Italy have surfaced.”We have a wonderful squad and I have to choose who gets involved in each game,” Solari said in his pre-match press conference.”It is not up to me to explain the transfer policy, I am just the coach.” last_img read more

Read More

New AP Poll: Buckeyes Remain Unanimous No. 1

first_imgWeek two of the new AP poll.Week 2 AP Poll Lee Corso College GameDayTwitter/College GameDayThe Ohio State Buckeyes, after taking care of Virginia Tech on the road Monday night, are still the No. 1 ranked team in the country – in both the Coaches’ Poll and the AP Poll. The latter was just released.Alabama, previously ranked No. 3, has moved up to No. 2 after a dominating performance against Wisconsin. TCU, which struggled a bit with Minnesota, drops a spot to No. 3. The rest of the top ten is rounded out by Baylor, Michigan State, Auburn, Oregon, USC, Notre Dame and Georgia.Texas A&M, after a big win over Arizona State, debuts in the poll at No. 16. Utah and Mississippi State also entered the poll, at No. 24 and No. 25, respectively.1. Ohio State2. Alabama3. TCU4. Baylor5. Michigan State6. Auburn7. Oregon8. USC9. Notre Dame10. Georgia11. Florida State12. Clemson13. UCLA14. LSU15. Georgia Tech16. Texas A&M17. Ole Miss18. Arkansas19. Oklahoma20. Boise State21. Missouri22. Arizona23. Tennessee24. Utah25. Mississippi StateYou can check out last week’s rankings here.last_img read more

Read More

Waymo rolls out autonomous vans without human drivers

first_imgDETROIT – A self-driving car company created by Google is pulling the human backup driver from behind the steering wheel and will test vehicles on public roads with only an employee in the back seat.The move by Waymo started Oct. 19 with an automated Chrysler Pacifica minivan in the Phoenix suburb of Chandler, Arizona. It’s a major step toward vehicles driving themselves without human backups on public roads. The company also said it would launch a ride service to compete with Uber and Lyft.Waymo, which is owned by Google’s parent company Alphabet, is in a race with other companies including Delphi, General Motors, Intel, Uber, Apple and Lyft to bring autonomous vehicles to the public. The companies say the robot cars are safer than human drivers because they don’t get drowsy, distracted or drunk.Google has long stated its intent to skip driver-assist systems and go directly to fully autonomous driving. The Waymo employee in the back seat won’t be able to steer the minivan, but like all passengers, will be able to press a button to bring the van safely to a stop if necessary, Waymo said.Within a “few months,” the fully autonomous vans will begin carrying volunteer passengers who are now taking part in a Phoenix-area test that includes use of backup drivers.The company says the self-driving ride service will be the first application of the technology.“We want the experience of travelling with Waymo to be routine, so you want to use our driver for your everyday needs,” Waymo CEO John Krafcik said prepared remarks announcing the test Tuesday at a conference in Portugal.The company intends to expand the testing to the entire 600-square-mile (1,500-square-kilometre) Phoenix area and eventually bring the technology to more cities around the world. It’s confident that its system can handle all situations on public roads without human intervention, Krafcik said.“Our system runs thousands of checks on itself every second,” he said. “With these checks, our systems can instantly diagnose any problems and pull over or come to a safe stop if needed.”The company also says it has redundant braking, steering, power and computing systems so it never has to rely on a human driver.Sam Abuelsamid, senior analyst for Navigant Research, says Waymo’s tests without a human backup are the first to his knowledge on public roads at normal speeds. The company picked Phoenix because weather conditions are ideal for testing with no snow and little rain, he said, adding that Waymo knows its system isn’t ready yet for inclement weather even with camera, radar and laser sensors.“This demonstrates Waymo’s confidence in the ability of these vehicles to function at least in this environment,” Abuelsamid said.He said he expects General Motors and its Cruise Automation autonomous vehicle unit to be the next to announce testing without human backups, followed by auto parts maker Delphi, which recently acquired Massachusetts Institute of Technology self-driving software startup nuTonomy.Waymo wouldn’t say how many vehicles will be in the initial test or exactly how wide an area it will cover. The test will take place in a small area at first, then spread to portions of five cities and 100 square miles (260 square kilometres) in the Phoenix area. Eventually it will go to whole metro area.The company also wouldn’t say how many minivans are taking part in the initial testing. It has a fleet of 100 autonomous vans in Phoenix, with plans to add 500.Waymo says it has an operations team that can answer questions from the cars’ computers, but the cars will make driving decisions.The company said it has been testing its autonomous systems for the past eight years with more than 5 million miles logged on public roads.Waymo is hoping to infuse its technology into ride-hailing services such as its current partner, Lyft, and big-rig trucking companies. It also intends to license its automated system to automakers such as Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, which makes the Pacifica minivan.last_img read more

Read More

Fox Creek RCMP looking for motorist that picked up a hitchhiker on

first_imgFOX CREEK, A.B. – The RCMP in Fox Creek are looking for a suspect who allegedly left the scene of a collision on Highway 43 and was picked up by a passing motorist.At 10:35 a.m. Saturday, a collision was reported to the RCMP.  A silver SUV struck a semi truck which was pulled over on the side of the road.  The driver of the semi-truck was not hurt because he was out of the truck at the time.  The driver of the SUV walked away hitchhiking northbound on Highway 43 towards Fox Creek.The RCMP believe the suspect that was driving the SUV, was picked up by a passing motorist driving a four-door SUV, sometime between 10:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Saturday. Investigation has revealed that the SUV involved in the collision was allegedly stolen out of Edmonton.  The Fox Creek RCMP want to locate the driver of the vehicle.The driver is described as:Caucasian maleApproximately 5’10 – 6′ tallDark medium length shaggy hair with facial hair.Wearing a black jacket and dark pants possibly snow pant like style.Had a back pack or bag with himThe Fox Creek RCMP are asking that the motorist who provided a lift to this male – please contact the detachment at 780-622-3740.   Anyone else who has any information about this incident or knows this male is asked to call the FoxCreek RCMP at 780-622-3740 or call your local police detachment.  If you want to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), by internet at www.tipsubmit.com, or by SMS.last_img read more

Read More

Go Fund Me raising money for deaf sixyearold halfway to goal of

first_imgThe processor fell off when 6-year-old Chloe Kalas was bumped while playing in the park. Chloe’s mom Elizabeth and her husband searched the park seven different times but came up empty-handed.Elizabeth Kalas explained that Chloe had just recovered from an infection where the magnet inside her head was killing her skin, making Chloe have to wear a weaker magnet. The weaker magnet caused the processor to fall off numerous times.Without the processor, Chloe is completely deaf and must rely on sign language. Kalas added that with her daughter going into grade one this year, a new cochlear implant is a must since it’s already difficult for someone who uses an implant to hear in a school environment.“Without this, she hears nothing, so she’s a bit further behind, speech-wise,” said Kalas.A new processor for the cochlear implant costs $11,130 while the cable and coil cost an additional $370. Kalas added that the family can handle the cost of the cable and coil, but the processor is currently beyond their means.The goal of the GoFundMe is to raise enough money to cover the cost of a new processor. For more information or to donate, visit the GoFundMe campaign’s website at www.gofundme.com/chloe039s-cochlear-processor. UPDATE: The campaign has successfully reached its $12,000 goal. Details to follow.FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Go Fund Me Campaign raising money for a 6-year-old deaf girl who lost the processor for her cochlear implant is halfway to its goal of $12,000.The campaign started on Tuesday just after 11:30 a.m. and reached $6,581 early this morning.last_img read more

Read More

Facebook sues South Korean firm over data misuse

first_imgSan Francisco: Battling the Cambridge Analytica data scandal, Facebook has now filed a lawsuit in California state court against Rankwave, a South Korean data analytics company that ran apps on its platform. The lawsuit alleged that Rankwave abused Facebook’s developer platform’s data and refused to cooperate with a mandatory compliance audit and request to delete the data. “Facebook was investigating Rankwave’s data practices in relation to its advertising and marketing services. “Rankwave failed to cooperate with our efforts to verify their compliance with our policies, which we require of all developers using our platform,” Jessica Romero, Director of Platform Enforcement and Litigation said in a statement on late Friday. She added that Facebook has already suspended apps and accounts associated with Rankwave. “The lawsuit asks the court to enforce the basic cooperation terms that Rankwave agreed to in exchange for the opportunity to operate apps on the platform,” Romero noted. According to TechCrunch, Facebook’s lawsuit centres around Rankwave offering to help businesses build a Facebook authorization step into their apps so they can pass all the user data to Rankwave. “It then analyzes biographic and behavioural traits to supply user contact info and ad targeting assistance to the business,” the report said. “That app could pull data about your Facebook activity such as location checkins, determine that you’ve checked into a baseball stadium, and then Rankwave could help its clients target you with ads for baseball tickets,” the report noted. Rankwave’s Android app asks for users’ Facebook data in exchange for providing them a “Social Influencer Score”. “By filing the lawsuit, we are sending a message to developers that Facebook is serious about enforcing our policies, including requiring developers to cooperate with us during an investigation,” said the social network giant. Facebook recently announced to ban personality quiz apps on its platform — a move taken after the Cambridge Analytica scandal last year that helped researchers access personal information of 87 million users via the quiz app “thisisyourdigitallife”. Federal prosecutors in the US are now probing whether top executives of Facebook were aware of data harvesting by the British political consulting firm Cambridge Analytica.last_img read more

Read More