Environmental reviews of Ring of Fire mine running into trouble

admin qqlwxu , , , , ,

OTTAWA — Just as the federal government strives to speed up environmental reviews of major mining and energy projects, approvals for the giant Ring of Fire proposal in northern Ontario are getting increasingly tangled.[np_storybar title=”Peter Foster: Ontario’s Ring of Bad Policy” link=”http://opinion.financialpost.com/2013/02/28/peter-foster-tony-clements-ring-of-bad-policy/”%5DLast week, Tony Clement announced that he would become the Federal government’s point man on the “Ring of Fire,” the area of the James Bay lowlands in Northern Ontario estimated to contain between $30 billion and $50 billion worth of mineral potential.Continue reading.[/np_storybar]On Monday, a key environmental group asked for provincial government mediation on how Cliffs Natural Resources plans to develop a giant chromite deposit in the fragile muskeg of the James Bay lowlands.The Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society says Cleveland-based Cliffs is dramatically changing its plans for a mine without properly consulting with the public.“Several major alterations have been incorporated at the last minute and without the benefit of public scrutiny,” the Wildlands League chapter of CPAWS says in a letter to Ontario Environment Minister Jim Bradley.The letter says Cliffs is backing away from a long-term plan to do a combination of open-pit mining and underground mining, opting to stick with only open pit.It also notes Cliffs is considering only a single route — a north-south road that would be heavily subsidized — to transport chromite ore out of the area, instead of considering other ways such, as an east-west corridor that could link First Nations to much-needed infrastructure.At stake is the framework Cliffs has set up for Ontario regulators to examine the environmental implications of its proposal.The company wants to invest more than $3-billion to build a chromite mine and processing facility, but it needs approval from both federal and provincial environment officials first, through separate processes. Last summer, it released terms of reference for the Ontario process, asking for feedback from the public.Environmentalists and First Nations did indeed give their feedback, and not all of it was favourable.When Cliffs revised its plan and handed a final version to Ontario in January, the company did not incorporate any of the public’s suggestions, CPAWS charges.The environmental protection group’s request for mediation echoes concerns made last month by the Neskantaga First Nation, one of the bands located near the Ring of Fire.“Our constitutionally protected aboriginal rights and title and treaty rights are not appropriately addressed in the amended terms of reference,” the Neskantaga letter to the minister says.“Therefore numerous fundamental issues of concern arise on the amended terms of reference as submitted.”Ontario officials say they are considering the letters but say that Cliffs would have to agree to any kind of mediation.The federal process for the project is equally gummed up.First Nations have joined forces to challenge a federal decision to conduct a comprehensive study, rather than a full-fledged review that would include public hearings. The challenge has been trudging through the court system for more than a year.Last week, a Federal Court judge chastised the federal government and the mining company for dragging out the case, ordering them to comply with a new, tighter schedule.“These motions have had the effect of unnecessarily delaying this proceeding and the below timetable is set to ensure the expeditious hearing of this application and puts the onus on all parties to adhere strictly to the below timetable,” the judge wrote, setting out a fixed schedule that will wrap up the hearings this summer.The communities surrounding the Ring of Fire have a lot at stake.The area is one of the poorest and most remote, pristine regions in Canada. Cliffs’ mine and other projects under consideration could bring hundreds of jobs and billions in investment to a needy part of the country.But the effect on major rivers, precarious wildlife and carbon sinks that make up the muskeg are unknown.The federal government could decide any time that it wants to have a full-fledged public review of the Cliffs project and other proposals, said lawyer Judith Rae, acting on behalf of the Matawa First Nations.“They could say that any time. The chiefs are encouraging both Canada and Ontario to make the move, and put this into the right process and get going. Because the longer we wait around, the longer the project is in jeopardy.”A spokeswoman for Cliffs did not have any immediate comment on the requests for mediation or the court ruling last week.But a spokeswoman for Tony Clement, the federal minister recently given responsibility for the Ring of Fire, says there will be ample opportunity for public input and consultation.“There will be extensive consultations with the public and aboriginal groups to ensure a thorough understanding of all issues,” said Andrea Mandel-Campbell in an email.The complications come just a year after the federal Conservatives pulled out all the stops to make approvals and oversight of natural resource projects more efficient. That’s a point not lost on the First Nations and environmentalists who want to see a single — but thorough and public — review of Ring of Fire developments.“If the feds really wanted to streamline, they would have had a joint panel to begin with,” said Anna Baggio, director of conservation planning at CPAWS’ Wildlife League chapter.“The reason we need this process is because right now, the proponent, Cliffs, right now they are the ones who control everything. And all the information goes into a big black box.”Cliffs has said it wants to start production by 2016, but regulatory uncertainty has made the start date uncertain.The Canadian Press

You May Also Like..

Nayar leads game-winning drive, Idaho beats SUU 33-32

first_imgMarch 27, 2021 /Sports News – Local Nayar leads game-winning drive, Idaho beats SUU 33-32 Tags: Big Sky/Idaho Vandals/SUU Thunderbirds Football Written by Associated Press FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailMOSCOW, Idaho (AP) — Nikhil Nayar threw a 7-yard touchdown pass to Cutrell Haywood with 7 seconds left to give Idaho a 33-32 win over Southern Utah.Nayar, the Vandals’ third-string quarterback, entered the game late in the third quarter and finished 12-of-20 passing for 143 yards and two touchdowns. His passing accounted for all 82 yards of Idaho’s 15-play, game-winning drive.Idaho’s starting quarterback Mike Beaudry was unavailable for the game for undisclosed reasons. CJ Jordan, who started in Beaudry’s place, limped off the field after a sack and finished with 183 yards passing in the first three quarters for Idaho.Justin Miller passed for 422 yards and three touchdowns for the Thunderbirds.last_img

Coronavirus latest: Rightmove announcement on fees cut ‘due today’

first_imgSeveral agents have contacted The Negotiator to reveal that their Rightmove reps have told them to expect an announcement on a fee reduction within the next 48 hours.It is also understood that the other portals are also considering how to soften the blow that a Coronavirus-triggered market downturn may bring, including temporarily suspending or reducing their fees.Agents are said to have been contacting Rightmove in such numbers asking for help that the portal has been persuaded to do something fast to support agents.This follows anger among many customers after an email was sent out yesterday giving agents advice on how to cope with Coronavirus from both a health, staff and business perspective, but with no mention of a fee reduction or any other measure designed to ease the financial pain.Money and dataLondon agent Trevor Abrahmsohn, says that the portals should “never forget who provides the money and the data”.“They have got to be very careful about how they treat agents, many of whom are scrambling to find a few crumbs of comfort at the point in time,” he says.“If Rightmove and indeed Zoopla could find it within them to offer the warm hand of hospitality and generosity in the circumstances then that would be a good move.“But if they want to stand up against the agents, who are their benefactors in many ways, then they will do so at their peril.”Rightmove will also be mindful of its shareholders; the company’s share price dropped by nearly 6% at one point today as City investors worry that Coronavirus may create difficulties for many of its agent and developer customers.Read more: how to survive coronavirus.Coronavirus rightmove Coping with coronavirus coronavirus March 18, 2020Nigel Lewis2 commentsJeff bird, Bird estate Bird estate 19th March 2020 at 9:22 pmNo help from Rightmove, contract or not in these challenging times cancelling an over priced service seems a wise move.Log in to ReplyFriendly local agent, Friendly local agency Friendly local agency 18th March 2020 at 9:05 amSo the big announcement was that Rightmove is willing to defer some fees! Yes, you’ll have to pay the money back later – Rightmove aren’t reducing their fees by a single penny! So glad we gave Rightmove notice when we did, we’re leaving at the end of the month and that’s what I call great timing.Log in to ReplyWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021 Home » News » Marketing » Coronavirus latest: Rightmove announcement on fees cut ‘due today’ previous nextMarketingCoronavirus latest: Rightmove announcement on fees cut ‘due today’Portal’s reps tell agents to ‘hold fire’ with calls for help and promise that news of a financial package to ease the burden is in the pipeline.Nigel Lewis18th March 20202 Comments4,166 Viewslast_img

Spanish Navy’s Frigate to Take Part in Joint Warrior

first_img View post tag: News by topic View post tag: Méndez Núñez View post tag: Joint Warrior Spanish Navy’s Frigate to Take Part in Joint Warrior View post tag: Navy View post tag: Spanish Navy Back to overview,Home naval-today Spanish Navy’s Frigate to Take Part in Joint Warrior View post tag: Frigatecenter_img View post tag: Naval View post tag: europe The Spanish Navy’s frigate ‘Méndez Núñez’ (F-104) has set sail from Ferrol towards Scotland yesterday to participate in a NATO joint training exercise with military units from several nations. The ‘Joint Warrior’ exercise is organized and led by the United Kingdom.‘Joint Warrior’ exercises are manoeuvers where units from the three Services of different allied nations participate. The F-104 is the Spanish contribution to an exercise where more than 50 naval units are scheduled to take part.These manoeuvers contemplate a complex scenario including crisis and conflict situations, training on different fields like the fight against terrorism, cyber-attacks, protection of SLOCs, and anti-air, anti-ship and anti-submarine warfare.Personnel from the 31st Escort Squadron (F-100 frigates) have also embarked for the whole period of the deployment. The Squadron Commander, Captain Benigno González-Aller will assume command of the anti-submarine warfare element of the joint force.Upon the conclusion of the exercise at the end of April, the F-104 will proceed towards London before arriving at her home port in Ferrol.[mappress mapid=”15603″]Image: Spanish Navy Authorities April 7, 2015 Share this articlelast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *