As a 25-year-old Australian Punjabi Ends His life, It’s Time to Introspect

admin vsxrnd , , , , , , ,

first_imgJatinder Kaur was contacted by friends of the Shetra family to provide counselling and help after the entire Woolgoolga community was shaken by Harmeet’s passing.“He was well known in the community, and played for Woolgoolga Rugby League Club,” Ms Kaur told SBS Punjabi.“He suffered from anxiety and depression.”Read it at SBS Related Itemslast_img

You May Also Like..

Ashley ‘can hardly wait’ for Lightning bout

first_img“I am excited and can hardly wait to get into the ring tomorrow night to regain my world title.”Jamaica’s Alicia ‘Slick’ Ashley sounded quite eager to get back in the ring as she spoke with The Gleaner yesterday about her World Boxing Council (WBC) Super bantamweight title fight tonight against Irish boxer Christina ‘Lightning’ McMahon, at the Aviator Sports Complex in Brooklyn, New York.Ashley previously held the title from July 23, 2011 to September 6, 2014, when she lost it to Jackie Nava by way of a controversial majority decision in Mexico.Since that victory, Nava also won the World Boxing Association (WBA) version of the title and was declared a super champion. She therefore gave up the WBC title, leaving it vacant and Ashley and McMahon will go at each other tonight to succeed her.Ashley takes a 22-10-1 record with four knockouts into the ring, while McMahon, who is the interim WBC bantamweight champion, goes in with a 7-0 record that includes three knockouts.Ashley has more experience than her opponent and told The Gleaner that she had “a great camp” and is ready for the fight.She confessed that her trainer has been having a hard time keeping her in check these past few days.”I am so up for this fight that I just wanted to keep working and working, but he told me on Tuesday that I am ready and should now take it easy.”The unbeaten McMahon, who also boasts an impressive amateur record, is a fast mover inside the ring and has good hand speed, hence the nickname ‘Lightning’.She likes to go after her opponent, so with Ashley being a good all-round boxer who moves quickly and counter-punches effectively, everything points to a fast-paced fight with plenty action.last_img

Minibus drivers slapped with second causing death charge

first_imgIndependence night accident…Michael Thorne, driver of the Route 42 minibus involved in the Independence Night accident, was on Friday slapped with another causing death charge.Jamal McCloudRoxanne MitchellHe along with the other defendant, Jamal McCloud, appeared before City Magistrate Judy Latchman at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.The offence brought against them alleged that on May 26, 2016 at Bagotstown Public Road, East Bank Demerara, they drove vehicles bearing licence plate BPP 6158 and BPP 167, respectively, thereby causing the death of Joycelyn Elcock.The prior offence alleged that on the same day at the same location, they drove the said vehicles, thereby causing the death of Roxanne Mitchell.They were both previously placed on $250,000 bail.According to the Prosecution’s facts, Elcock did not fully recover following the accident and died on July 22. Bail this time around was granted at $100,000 each.They are going to be brought before the court again on August 15, 2016.On the day of the accident, Mitchell and her family were returning home, having attended the Flag Raising Ceremony at D’Urban Park.According to reports, the accident occurred around 01:30h.Mitchell’s husband told police that the Route 42 bus slammed into the Route 32 bus that his family was travelling in at the time.As a result of the impact, half of the Mitchell’s body went through the windscreen of the vehicle. The other vehicle that was driven by McCloud then slammed into her, pinning her.Firefighters on the scene successfully removed the woman’s body from between the two mangled vehicles and rushed her to hospital where she was pronounced dead.The two drivers also sustained injuries, but were treated and sent away after which they were arrested and charged.last_img

Ramjattan says Blanhum will not be removed as Crime Chief

first_imgDubbed a ‘serious pillar’ in the Police Force– Assistant Commissioner Williams to act as Crime Chief The recent move to send Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum on leave has sparked controversy, with many persons claiming that the decision is one that could be a clear indication that there may be some major reconfigurations waiting to take place within the Guyana Police Force (GPF).Acting Crime Chief Paul WilliamsBut Public Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan has put those rumours to rest, stating that Blanhum had accumulated excessive leave and based on a request from him, leave was granted. In fact, Ramjattan said the Crime Chief had accumulated over one hundred days annualised vacation.“I noticed that a lot of people are saying we are trying to get rid of Blanhum. Blanhum is a serious pillar in this Police Force. Whatever it is, understand that; and he has done a fantastic job in the opinion of the Government and in the opinion of the Minister,” Ramjattan told media operatives on Thursday.The Minister stressed that he would need the Crime Chief back on duty in time for Christmas when there is always a peak in criminal activities. His leave was approved for September to December, 2017.In explaining what took place after Blanhum proceeded on leave, Ramjattan explained that while Blanhum’s Deputy Detective Senior Superintendent Rishi Das would have been the next person in train to take up that post in his absence. Das decline and later fell ill on the job.Assistant Superintendent Rabindranath BudhramGiven the circumstances, the initial decision was made to have Commander of F Division (Interior locations), Assistant Superintendent Rabindranath Budhram take over until such time. However, it was felt that Budhram was doing an already good job in his assigned area and that he should remain there.“We need Budhram in F Division because you would appreciate that that Division has three regions under it (Regions Two, Seven and Nine) and Budhram has been doing an extremely good piece of work since he has taken on that Division. And we are also doing a further sub-divisioning of F Division,” he added.The Minister said at this point in time, Assistant Commissioner Paul Williams will act as head of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) until Blanhum returns. Meanwhile, Assistant Commissioner Lindon Alves will act as Commander of B Division (Berbice).“He (Williams) has a law degree and the arguments were made that he would be better placed there,” he further added.Public Security Minister Khemraj RamjattanRamjattan asserted that when a senior Police Officer is on leave it automatically puts pressure on the system and leads to a temporary reshuffling that is necessary to keep the Force functioning effectively. He argued that while the temporary reshuffling has raised some suspicion, this is not the case.“It is about strengthening and ensuring that we have continuity in where it should be…So, it is not what is going on wrong. The implicit messaging of your questions is as if a whole set of things going on wrong. No, it’s not and we are trying as best as possible to address this issue.”last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *