Service providers can opt for GST composition scheme by April 30

admin nhsili , , , , , , ,

first_imgNew Delhi: The tax department has given service providers with turnover of up to Rs 50 lakh time till April 30 to opt for the composition scheme and pay 6 per cent GST. The option to pay Goods and Services Tax (GST) at reduced rate of 6 per cent would be effective from the beginning of the financial year or from the date of obtaining new registration during the financial year. Service providers opting for the composition scheme can charge a lower tax rate of 6 per cent from customers, as against the higher rates of 12 and 18 per cent for most services under GST. Also Read – Thermal coal import may surpass 200 MT this fiscalIn a circular, the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) said suppliers who want to opt for composition scheme would have to file Form GST CMP-02 by selecting ‘Any other supplier eligible for composition levy’ latest by April 30, 2019. Businesses which apply for new registration may avail the said benefit in Form GST REG-01 at the time of filing application for registration. AMRG & Associates Partner Rajat Mohan said “numerous service providers tried to file this intimation opting composition scheme recently but were denied due to a legal embargo. Now with this clarification, GSTN would start accepting the intimations soon”. The GST Council, headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and comprising state ministers, in its meeting on January 10 had permitted service providers and those dealing in both goods and services with a turnover of up to Rs 50 lakh to opt for composition scheme with effect from April 1. Also Read – Food grain output seen at 140.57 mt in current fiscal on monsoon boostThe GST composition scheme was so far available to traders and manufacturers of goods with an annual turnover of up to Rs 1 crore. This threshold too has increased to Rs 1.5 crore from April 1. Under the scheme, traders and manufacturers are required to pay only 1 per cent GST on goods which otherwise attract a higher levy of either 5, 12 or 18 per cent. Such dealers are also not permitted to charge GST from the purchaser. Of the 1.20 crore businesses registered under GST, about 20 lakh have so far opted for the composition scheme.last_img

You May Also Like..

Indian Businessman Charged with US$30,000 Theft

first_imgPolice in Monrovia have investigated and forwarded to court, an Indian national accused of stealing several cartons of brake fluid valued at US$30,000.Defendant Darnesh Byramji was also accused of stealing 15 cartons of engine oil at the price of US$250.00 each.He allegedly stole the items from an Indian-run business center, Naresh Brothers, situated in Vai Town, Monrovia.For the past four years Byramji had served as warehouse manager of that business’ Randall Street branch.Byramji is charged with the commission of the crime “theft of property,” based upon a complaint filed against him by another Indian national identified as Bunty Anandani.Anandani is the general manager of Naresh Brothers.At his trial yesterday, defendant Byramji, dressed in a blue short sleeve t-shirt and blue long trousers, with a blue pair of slippers sat all day on the prisoner’s bench.He was yesterday allowed to walk freely out of the courtroom.  Apparently his legal team may have filed a bond on his behalf.The crime is a baliable offense under Liberian laws.The bond was very important because it prevented him from being remanded at the Monrovia Central Prison yesterday.It is not clear whether Byramji’s bond was paid in cash or an insurance because it was not disclosed, as had been done in previous cases.Usually, the bond fees either double or triple the amount which the individual is accused of stealing.In most instances, it is the Judge or Magistrate hearing the case who determines the bond fees.In his complaint, Anandani alleged that on November 9, they (management) of the business entity decided to conduct an inventory of their warehouse around the National Port Authority (Freeport) community.It was during that process, the Naresh Brothers general manager further alleged, that they discovered several empty bottles of brake fluid in the area.He said they also discovered 15 barrels of empty engine oil.According to him, the inventory was carried out in the presence of defendant Byramji.“We immediately questioned defendant Byramji about the discoveries,” the Naresh Brothers manager stated.While interrogating the defendant about the discoveries, Anandani claimed that defendant Byramji asked them to allow him to use the rest room.“After using the rest room Byramji escaped the scene and switched off his phone,” Anandani further narrated.He also claimed that the defendant later left the apartment where he had been residing for an unknown location.According to Anandani, defendant Byramji and he lived in the same apartment.Explaining about the defendant’s incarceration and subsequent charge, Anandani said, “After he went missing for three weeks, we came across him on the street, then we quickly contacted the police who arrested him.”According to police, during preliminary investigation, defendant Byramji admitted to the allegation levied against him.Police further said that based upon his voluntary admission and eye witness account, including evidence gathered from the warehouse, they agreed to charge defendant Byramji with the crime of theft of property.In their investigation, Police said, defendant Byramji told them that he usually gave out goods from the ware house when his boss issued him delivery notes for him to supply customers.He was also quoted as saying that “three months ago I was at the warehouse when one of our customers, Rufus Pewee, came to me that he wanted to buy engine oil.”“Pewee and I used to transact on a daily basis and along with my driver, Andrew Dennis.”“I sold several cartons of brake fluid to Pewee at the price of US$290 each and 15 cartons of engine oil at the price of US$250 each to him,” the defendant allegedly admitted.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img

First Lady calls for health curriculum in education sector

first_imgWorld Population DayFirst Lady Sandra Granger on Wednesday called for a comprehensive health curriculum to be implemented in the schools’ education system at the early childhood level.She made the call as she delivered her address to attendees of the United Nations Population Fund’s (UNFPA’s) World Population Day, held under the theme “Family planning is a human right”, at the Cara Lodge hotel in Georgetown.“I am an advocate for teaching [family health] at the nursery level, but it does not mean that our parents must be [excluded]… Parents have a large role to play in how our children are socialised… Let us hope that the Caribbean region will come up with a comprehensive health and family life education curriculum which theyFirst Lady Sandra Granger addressing the gatheringcan implement in all our schools, so that our children will have the much-needed education and the knowledge that they deserve,” the First Lady explained.She added it is hoped that communities and parents are educated on how they can protect their children, and how they should socialise their children to be responsible human beings and productive adults.She also stressed the benefits of accessible family planning as she said, “It has been estimated that if the need for modern contraception was met, there would be 70 percent less unintended pregnancies, 74 percent less unsafe abortions, [and] 25 percent less maternal deaths… There would be an increase in educational opportunities for girls and women, greater participation by women and girls in the labour force, and an increase in their earning potential”.Notwithstanding the importance of including men in the family planning process, the First Lady said, family planning gives women more control over their lives.Liaison Officer at the UNFPA office, Adler Bynoe, delivered the World Population message on behalf of the organisation’s Executive Director, Dr Natalia Kanem. It was pointed out that accessible family planning can only be realised through collaboration.“Family planning is not only a matter of human rights, it is also central to women’s empowerment, reducing poverty, and achieving the sustainable development… the UNFPA is fully committed to continuing to support countries’ efforts to uphold the right to plan a family. We are striving to end all unmet needs for voluntary family planning in developing countries by 2030… We cannot do this alone. Governments, parliamentarians, the private sector and civil society must join forces to make it happen,” he said.Minister within the Public Health Ministry (MoPH), Dr Karen Cummings, was also present at the event. She noted that the MoPH will be doing more to educate young people about the importance of family planning.“One of the areas in which it will be placing greater emphasis will be (on) generating more awareness about sexual reproductive health and the importance of family planning… At the Ministry, we are cognisant that effective and informed family planning has multiple health and social benefits… Through various health promotion activities, the Ministry of Public Health is ensuring that…accurate, unbiased information, to assist in preventing unplanned pregnancies as well as empowering young people to make educated decisions about sexual and reproductive health, is disseminated countrywide,” she said.A few panellists and teen mothers from Women Across Differences (WAD) gave their perspective on the importance of family planning as they told their stories of trials and testing.World Population Day is annually observed on July 11. It was introduced by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) to focus attention on the urgency and importance of population issues. This year marks the 50th anniversary of the affirmation of family planning as a human right.last_img

Tourism Department working with GuySuCo on ‘Heritage Tourism’

first_imgAs the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) continues to revamp its image under Government’s overhaul to the sector, a partnership was forged with the Business Ministry’s Tourism Department to develop ‘Heritage Tourism’. GuySuCo on Tuesday said it has a new business stream as a part of the Corporation’s new strategic direction.The sugar entity stressed that while key components of the new strategic plan focuses on value added products; such as plantation white sugar and cogeneration, and improving the Corporation’s overall capability and efficiencies, “the Corporation has recognised that it is important that the preservation of the invaluable sugar history be factored into the transition programme.”According to GuySuCo, its new ‘Sustainable Business Model’ will allow it to focusGuySuCo meeting with the Department of Tourism on Tuesdayon accounting for a Triple Bottom Line (TBL). These components are: economic (financial), environmental and social. The statement outlined that the partnership will ensure that Heritage (Sugar) Tourism becomes integrated into the tourism industry in a structured and well-coordinated way.The move to establish this latest venture comes as a result of the first meeting that was held on September 24, 2018, where the two sides discussed the partnership and the specifics of the engagement. Moreover, the Sugar Corporation stated that the business line for the Corporation “will be organised around educational as well as relaxation for students, groups, visitors and tourists”.“The Department of Tourism will support GuySuCo in the development of a ‘Heritage Tourism’ strategy in line with the national tourism policy; assist in defining the strategic direction for tourism relative to sugar; assist in the designing project proposals for funding for the development and creation of heritage and other sites in the sugar industry, including a ‘sugar museum’; determine market opportunities (current and future); establish and ‘Annual Estate Week’ for 2019; training in tourism, heritage tourism and other relevant areas,” the company pointed out.The Corporation added that it will also build on its engagements with the National Trust of Guyana, National Archives and other relevant agencies “to ensure that the sugar heritage is sufficiently captured, secured and documented as the transition process continues”. These measures follow the downsizing of the sugar industry whereby thousands of sugar workers were retrenched. The Estate of Albion, Blairmont and Uitvlugt remain under GuySuCo’s control while the entities at Wales, Skeldon, East Demerara and Rose Hall were transferred to the Special Purposes Unit.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *