Environmental reviews of Ring of Fire mine running into trouble

admin qqlwxu , , , , ,

OTTAWA — Just as the federal government strives to speed up environmental reviews of major mining and energy projects, approvals for the giant Ring of Fire proposal in northern Ontario are getting increasingly tangled.[np_storybar title=”Peter Foster: Ontario’s Ring of Bad Policy” link=”http://opinion.financialpost.com/2013/02/28/peter-foster-tony-clements-ring-of-bad-policy/”%5DLast week, Tony Clement announced that he would become the Federal government’s point man on the “Ring of Fire,” the area of the James Bay lowlands in Northern Ontario estimated to contain between $30 billion and $50 billion worth of mineral potential.Continue reading.[/np_storybar]On Monday, a key environmental group asked for provincial government mediation on how Cliffs Natural Resources plans to develop a giant chromite deposit in the fragile muskeg of the James Bay lowlands.The Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society says Cleveland-based Cliffs is dramatically changing its plans for a mine without properly consulting with the public.“Several major alterations have been incorporated at the last minute and without the benefit of public scrutiny,” the Wildlands League chapter of CPAWS says in a letter to Ontario Environment Minister Jim Bradley.The letter says Cliffs is backing away from a long-term plan to do a combination of open-pit mining and underground mining, opting to stick with only open pit.It also notes Cliffs is considering only a single route — a north-south road that would be heavily subsidized — to transport chromite ore out of the area, instead of considering other ways such, as an east-west corridor that could link First Nations to much-needed infrastructure.At stake is the framework Cliffs has set up for Ontario regulators to examine the environmental implications of its proposal.The company wants to invest more than $3-billion to build a chromite mine and processing facility, but it needs approval from both federal and provincial environment officials first, through separate processes. Last summer, it released terms of reference for the Ontario process, asking for feedback from the public.Environmentalists and First Nations did indeed give their feedback, and not all of it was favourable.When Cliffs revised its plan and handed a final version to Ontario in January, the company did not incorporate any of the public’s suggestions, CPAWS charges.The environmental protection group’s request for mediation echoes concerns made last month by the Neskantaga First Nation, one of the bands located near the Ring of Fire.“Our constitutionally protected aboriginal rights and title and treaty rights are not appropriately addressed in the amended terms of reference,” the Neskantaga letter to the minister says.“Therefore numerous fundamental issues of concern arise on the amended terms of reference as submitted.”Ontario officials say they are considering the letters but say that Cliffs would have to agree to any kind of mediation.The federal process for the project is equally gummed up.First Nations have joined forces to challenge a federal decision to conduct a comprehensive study, rather than a full-fledged review that would include public hearings. The challenge has been trudging through the court system for more than a year.Last week, a Federal Court judge chastised the federal government and the mining company for dragging out the case, ordering them to comply with a new, tighter schedule.“These motions have had the effect of unnecessarily delaying this proceeding and the below timetable is set to ensure the expeditious hearing of this application and puts the onus on all parties to adhere strictly to the below timetable,” the judge wrote, setting out a fixed schedule that will wrap up the hearings this summer.The communities surrounding the Ring of Fire have a lot at stake.The area is one of the poorest and most remote, pristine regions in Canada. Cliffs’ mine and other projects under consideration could bring hundreds of jobs and billions in investment to a needy part of the country.But the effect on major rivers, precarious wildlife and carbon sinks that make up the muskeg are unknown.The federal government could decide any time that it wants to have a full-fledged public review of the Cliffs project and other proposals, said lawyer Judith Rae, acting on behalf of the Matawa First Nations.“They could say that any time. The chiefs are encouraging both Canada and Ontario to make the move, and put this into the right process and get going. Because the longer we wait around, the longer the project is in jeopardy.”A spokeswoman for Cliffs did not have any immediate comment on the requests for mediation or the court ruling last week.But a spokeswoman for Tony Clement, the federal minister recently given responsibility for the Ring of Fire, says there will be ample opportunity for public input and consultation.“There will be extensive consultations with the public and aboriginal groups to ensure a thorough understanding of all issues,” said Andrea Mandel-Campbell in an email.The complications come just a year after the federal Conservatives pulled out all the stops to make approvals and oversight of natural resource projects more efficient. That’s a point not lost on the First Nations and environmentalists who want to see a single — but thorough and public — review of Ring of Fire developments.“If the feds really wanted to streamline, they would have had a joint panel to begin with,” said Anna Baggio, director of conservation planning at CPAWS’ Wildlife League chapter.“The reason we need this process is because right now, the proponent, Cliffs, right now they are the ones who control everything. And all the information goes into a big black box.”Cliffs has said it wants to start production by 2016, but regulatory uncertainty has made the start date uncertain.The Canadian Press

You May Also Like..

NWD man charged for killing father-in-law

first_imgThirty-six-year-old Lance Van-Slyton of Canal Bank, North West District (NWD), Region One (Barima-Waini) was on Thursday remanded to prison by Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan when he appeared in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts charged with the murder of his father-in-law.The court heard that on July 28, 2018 while in the vicinity of Canal Bank, he murdered Dennis Welcome.Based on reports received, about 03:00h on July 28, the accused and two of his friends were consuming alcohol outside his home and as time swiftly went by, he allowed the two friends to stay over.Later that night, Van-Slyton’s wife and daughter ventured out into the yard to use the washroom, but the man in a drunken state accused the woman of leaving the house to see his friends. As such, he began to beat her.Upon hearing the commotion, her father, who resided across the river, went over to the couple’s home and stopped Van-Slyton from beating his daughter. To avoid a reoccurrence, Welcome reportedly stayed with his daughter until the break of day. However, about 06:30h, Welcome was returning home in his boat and it was at this time his son-in-law flew into a fit of rage and slammed his boat into the man’s vessel. As a result, Welcome fell into the water and did not resurface.A search was launched, and the now dead man’s lifeless body was pulled from the canal. He sustained severe injuries to his head as a result of the hit he received from the boat.The body was taken to the Port Kaituma Hospital and Welcome was formally pronounced dead on arrival. A report was made, and the accused was subsequently arrested and charged.The matter will continue on August 6, 2018.last_img

BetLion launches free to play jackpot

first_img0Shares0000“We made a commitment that BetLion will always put the customer first, the release of our completely free to play Pick 6 Jackpot confirms this promise,” observed Spencer Okach, Managing Director – BetLion Kenya.NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 13 – Betting firm BetLion, home of Africa’s largest jackpot of Sh350 million BetLion Goliat Jackpot, has launched Kenya’s first ever free to play Jackpot; The Pick 6 Jackpot.With Sh100,000 to be won twice a week from predicting the scores of six top games, its sure to be a hit with sports and betting fans alike. BetLion’s Pick 6 Jackpot only includes the biggest games of the week, so the players know the teams well – helping them to predict and win! There are consolation cash bonuses for those who predict five correct scores.The first PICK 6 Games include Arsenal, Man Utd, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona andJuventus!“We made a commitment that BetLion will always put the customer first, the release of our completely free to play Pick 6 Jackpot confirms this promise,” observed Spencer Okach, Managing Director – BetLion Kenya.”“By offering a completely free jackpot twice a week, every week we are giving Kenyans the ultimately BetLion jackpot experience at zero cost,” he added.BetLion continues to keep its initial promise of delivering an innovative and rewarding product that puts the customer first.The BetLion Pick 6 jackpot was created in conjunction with Incentive Games – an award-winning gaming software firm.0Shares0000(Visited 73 times, 1 visits today)last_img

Writers’ aides put dreams on hold

first_imgThough not union members, many assistants are staying true to their better-paid bosses. “Hopefully, very soon, I’ll be in the writers guild,” Howe said. “When the strike is over and the writers get the deal they deserve, I want to know that I did whatever I could to help.” At the core of the contract dispute is compensation for shows offered on the Internet – a medium that appeals to a number of tech-savvy, young assistants who aspire to create their own online programming and want a piece of the profits. The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers has said it’s offering writers a share of licensing fees paid by Web sites to stream shows. However, the union rejected the offer, saying the payments wouldn’t begin until six weeks after a show goes online and viewer interest is nearly exhausted. Writers also want a cut of revenue from nonskippable ads contained in many shows streamed free online. The alliance slammed the door on that demand. Howe said he worked and networked his way up from the mailroom at CBS to his current position, which pays $10 an hour, plus overtime. “Take away the strike, and this is a really good job to have,” he said. “It’s hard to get.” When TV writers gather in conference rooms to trade jokes and punch up scripts, the assistants frantically type the changes into a laptop – a precious opportunity to learn the craft. The experience “has shown me how to create a passable script,” said Ryan Harris, a writers’ assistant on the ABC show “Carpoolers.” He and his writing partner recently won an award for best spec script for a sitcom at a writing expo. He hopes the glow of the achievement lasts while he waits out the walkout. For him, supporting the strike is “a pay-it-forward thing.” He and other assistants were planning to join a picket line at Fox studios Monday in a show of solidarity with striking writers. Presidential hopeful John Edwards visited a picket line Friday at NBC studios in Burbank. “I am in this cause with you,” Edwards said to the crowd through a bullhorn. “This is about justice and fairness and equality.” Collins said the strike has tempted her to move back to Chicago, but she intends to hang on to her dream of selling her own sitcom, even if she struggles to pay the rent on her Hollywood apartment.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! With his first child on the way and dreams of writing for television, Jeremy Howe thought he had a perfect plan: His job as a writers’ assistant on the TV show “The Game” was set to wrap up in January, when his wife is due. But the Hollywood writers strike has left him unemployed sooner than expected. Now he’s looking for a way to pay his family’s $900 monthly health insurance bill. Howe, 26, and hundreds of other assistants – entry-level staffers who do Hollywood’s grunt work in exchange for a chance to learn the business – are among those least able to afford the economic fallout of the two-week strike. With starting pay around $7.50 an hour, many have little money saved and must take other jobs to make ends meet. last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *